Hello, Cyclones!! My name is Molly Breen, and I am here with Maddie Blandin. We are Strategic Initiatives Interns for the Iowa State University Live Green! Initiative. The Live Green! Initiative is celebrating its ten-year anniversary THIS year, and we are so excited to celebrate Ten Years of Living Green with all of you!
Live Green! is Iowa State University’s campus-wide sustainability initiative encouraging all students, faculty, and staff to make our campus, its operations and initiatives as “green” as possible.
The Live Green! initiative began in 2008 (ten years ago), and offered two challenges for Iowa State University with focus on engaging students, staff and faculty:
- To be a leader in sustainability among land grant institutions.
- To recognize that the involvement and dedication of every member of the Iowa State University community is critical to achieving this goal.
The Live Green! ten-year celebration seeks to acknowledge our effort, dedication and accomplishments while still looking to the future. From August to May during the 2018-2019 school year, the Live Green! Initiative will host various events focused on offering education, engagement and empowerment opportunities and experiences for students, faculty and staff. You can follow along by joining our 10 Year Facebook group where you will receive exclusive updates about our events and giveaways. A preview of this year’s themes and events are included below.
August: Moving Green
Discover the ways Cyclones have and are moving green during the month of move-in. Our moves with Hybrid CyRide buses have reduced carbon emissions by 464,102 pounds and saving 23,000 gallons of fuel per year. Students are finding lots of unique ways to move greener with over 30 group fitness classes offered each semester. To celebrate moving green, Iowa Staters are invited to participate in outdoor yoga on our beautiful Central Campus with the help of ISU Outdoor Recreation. Let’s keep moving, Cyclones!
Yoga on the Lawn
- Wednesday, August 29th 6:00-8:00pm
- South Campanile Lawn
- *Free snacks and giveaways for attendees, while quantities last. Yoga mats will be provided for the first 25 participants.
September: Dining Green
Celebrate the month of Iowa State University’s local food festival and farmer’s market season by treating yourself to some knowledge of our green dining campus initiatives. Come meet the farmers who provide fresh, local ingredients to Iowa State’s dining centers and campus cafes. For an extra treat, come learn about living green on campus and get free cookies and discounted coffee if you bring your own mug.
Dining Green Foods & Features
- Monday, September 10th 11:30-1:30pm
- Parks Library Lawn
- Learn about green dining intiatives and accomplishments and enjoy free ISU Dining cookies and ISU Horticulture Station apples.
October: Learning Green
Absorb knowledge by Learning Green with our three-part lecture series focused on environmental, economic and social sustainability. This is also the perfect month to browse the course catalog of sustainability-related courses for your spring schedule, and join a sustainable student organization!
Environmental, Economic & Social Sustainability Speaker Series
- Andrew Kozlowski: September 20, 6:30pm, Memorial Union South Ballroom
- Mike Draper: October 4, 7pm, Memorial Union Sun Room
- Xiuhtexcatl Martinez: November 1, 7pm, Memorial Union Great Hall
November: Buying Green
Keep our city “Sust-AMES-able” by shopping local during our event hosted on Main Street in Ames. Consider supporting local businesses by doing your holiday gift shopping here! There will be opportunities throughout the month to learn about the university’s green shopping habits, too!
Sust-Ames Local Shopping Day
- Saturday, November 10th (all day)
- Main Street and Campustown businesses
- Shop local, sustain Ames and enter a drawing for sustainable prizes.
December: Creating Green
We are excited to celebrate all things creating green as this semester “wraps” up. Join us at the ArtMart in the Memorial Union for free, sustainable and unique gift wrapping and learn about what Iowa State University and Cyclones are creating on campus.
Sustainable Gifting Event
- Thursday, November 29th 11-2pm
- ArtMart, Memorial Union
- Free gift wrapping with repurposed materials. Come see us at Winterfest on Friday, too!
January: Giving Green
Start off the new year with a giving spirit. Drop off canned goods and gently used clothing to the Memorial Union, and pay forward for our community.
Collecting for the Community Initiative
- Thursday, January 17th 11-2pm
- Tabling in Memorial Union (by Bookstore)
- Earn prizes by donating and stop by to learn about giving at Iowa State University
February: Embracing Green
Embrace both history and love this month by learning about ways we can promote diversity and understanding on our college campus. Join for us coffee and conversation, and practice embracing social awareness and diversity.
Coffee Conversations on Sustainability Events
- Dates and times TBD
- Parks Library and Design on Main
March: Exploring Green
Gear up for Spring Break and explore sustainable opportunities for travel, volunteering and self-care while classes are not in session. We’ll be here to support you as you “spring” into self-sustainability.
All-Iowa Student Sustainability Conference
- Friday, March 8th 9am-4:30pm
- Memorial Union
- SAVE THE DATE!! More information and registration information to come!
April: Celebrating Green
Celebrate TEN years in April for our final month and anniversary celebration! Come for live music, free food and yard games, but stay for the history, conversations and FUN.
Ten Years of Living Green Finale Celebration Event
- Central Campus
- SAVE THE DATE! Food, multi-faceted celebrating and sustainability-minded giveaways. Stay tuned to the Ten Year Celebration Facebook page for more information.
As you can see have a year planned that is bursting with celebration for the MANY ways we have been living cardinal, gold and green over the past ten years!! We are SO excited to bring you each and every one of these events and features and look forward to celebrating 10 Years of the Live Green! Initiative on Iowa State’s Campus with you!
Stay connected to make sure you do not miss any part of our celebration year!! To get a head start on this year’s celebration, join our Facebook group and follow us on social media (WordPress, Instagram, and Facebook).